Scream: The Gainesville Ripper

Who would have thunk it.. that the movie ‘Scream’ was loosely based on real-life murders?!!?

Kevin Williamson, the screenwriter for “Scream,” has discussed the ways the Gainesville Ripper’s spree had influenced his script about a knife-wielding home invader who scared students. He first came across the Gainesville Ripper’s story while watching ‘Turning Point’, an ABC news program. The idea for “Scream” crystalized as Kevin Williamson imagined a knife-wielding killer, who was waiting for him outside of the home where he was staying. Kevin Williamson sold his screenplay based on these musings to the Weinstein Brothers for $400,000. Although the setting of “Scream” is the fictional town of Woodsboro, California, the way that the crimes of the Gainesville Ripper paralyzed locals is reflected in the jokey paranoia of the film. But unlike in real life, the killer of “Scream” is revealed to be two people, Billy Loomis and Stu Macher. The real-life Ghostface is Daniel Harold Rolling, also known as, the Gainesville Ripper. 

Daniel “Danny” Harold Rolling was born on May 26th, 1954 in Shreveport, Louisiana to James and Claudia Rolling. Danny’s mother was only 19 years old when Danny was born, and James was a decorated Korean War veteran who had suffered some combination of post-traumatic stress disorder and inherent mental illness. Temperamental, controlling and violent, James fought with Claudia and heaped verbal abuse on Danny and his younger brother, Kevin, resorting to physical attacks on the boys as they got older. At one point, James told his eldest son that he was unwanted from birth- further scarring his son. In one incident, Danny’s mother went to the hospital after claiming her husband tried to make her cut herself with a razor blade. She made repeated attempts to leave her husband but always returned. In one example of James’ sense of discipline, he pinned Danny to the ground, handcuffed him, then had police take his son away because he was embarrassed by him. Danny turned to art and music for solace – his Christmas gift of a guitar at age 15 proved to be one of his happiest memories from adolescence. He also recalled these early years as a time when he developed multiple personalities as a “defense” from the nightmarish reality around him, with attempts at suicide failing to bring an escape. 

Danny was kicked out of the Air Force in 1972 after getting busted for drug possession. Afterwards, he went to live with his grandfather and, for a time, found some stability through his church. He married a woman named O’Mather Halko, with whom he had a daughter, but eventually, he drove her away after exacting the same sort of abuse on her that had been prevalent in his own childhood home. Already harboring a habit for voyeurism and plagued by disturbing visions, Danny took a turn for the worse after the divorce. He raped a woman who resembled his ex-wife and embarked on several armed robberies through the South, leading to his incarceration in Jackson, Georgia, in 1979. 

The 1980’s brought more of the same for Danny, who was in and out of jail in Alabama and Mississippi for armed robbery. His time in between stints in jail were spent traveling the country, stealing and occasionally forcing himself on women.

Back in Shreveport in November 1989, Danny was fired from his job at a restaurant. That same night, he broke into the Grissom family home. William, Julie and Sean Grissom were the first three lives taken by Danny, who spread his terror between two states in the late 1980s, and into the early ’90s.

William “Tom” Grissom, 55, divorced, was an AT&T supervisor who lived on Beth Lane in Shreveport’s Southern Hills neighborhood. He was described as being polite, friendly and respectable, and had been battling throat cancer for years but was doing better. He was also nearing retirement. His daughter, 24-year-old Julie, was a petite brunette studying marketing at Louisiana State University of Shreveport (LSUS). She had transferred to Shreveport earlier in 1989 after attending the Baton Rouge campus and was working part-time at Dillard’s at the South Park Mall. She was on the verge of graduation. Sean, 8, was a third-grader at Turner Elementary. He was visiting his grandfather, William, and aunt, Julie, for the weekend as part of his recent birthday and was supposed to return home on Monday, November. 6th, 1989. But he never did.

At around 8:30 that morning, Sean’s mother called police after making multiple unanswered calls to her father-in-law’s house and learning from Sean’s school that he wasn’t in class. Police then reached out to neighbors, asking them to see if the residence was unlocked. At approximately 8:45 a.m., three neighbors went over to the brown-brick home to check on the family and opened the door to the utility room off the garage. That’s when the first body was discovered. “We cracked the laundry room door open and saw it there,” said Bob Coyles, a neighbor who went to check on the family, in an 1989 report in The Times. “I don’t know who it was. We just got out of there.” William’s body was slumped against the door, blocking the entrance to the utility room. He had several stab wounds in the back and chest. He had been cooking steaks on the backyard grill sometime that evening. 

Sean was found face down in the family room with one knife wound to his back that exited through his chest. He was attacked while watching TV.

Julie’s body was found naked and partially hanging off a bed. She was stabbed at least three times in the back but was left facing up. Vinegar was applied to her body. That evening she was planning to go out to a high school friend’s wedding and had picked out a red dress.

Detectives believe the trio was killed between 6-8 p.m. the Saturday before their bodies were found. There were no signs of forced entry, no ransacking and no robbery. Although there was some indication of struggle, the overall scene was noted as being “neat.”

That Monday, citizens watched from beyond the taped perimeter in shock and disbelief as first responders removed the bodies from the home on stretchers. “It makes you leery when something like this happens on your street,” said an unnamed, middle-aged female neighbor in a 1989 report.

The house was put under a 24-hour watch to prevent evidence from potentially being tampered, and red tape was placed over the doors and windows. Before the end of the week, police said they were searching for a psychologically disturbed man who had experience with crime scenes.

In the first week, police were following “strong leads” and checking alibis but doubted there would be a quick arrest in the case. Evidence was also lining up to indicate that the crimes of violence were directed at Julie. Although police did not expect the killer would be a threat to others living in the neighborhood, residents were not taking any chances. “You’re talking about some sick, sick people… I’m no macho son-of-a-gun but I’ll do what is necessary for protection,” Ron Atwood, then 44, told The Times in a 1989 report.

While some were keeping their firearms ready, others kept a strong eye on strange vehicles in the neighborhood. “Of course everyone is shocked and nervous,” said Leslie Dunn, then 47. She was a neighbor of the victims. “You watch everything,” she said. “We pray the murderer will confess or be caught so we can feel secure again.” About 10 minutes away from the Beth Lane crime scene, Danny Rolling lived with his parents in the 6300 block of West Canal Boulevard in the Sunset Acres neighborhood. 

A Friday night in May 1990, Danny, then 35, shot his father in the head during a dispute at the Sunset Acres home. The argument reportedly began when Danny’s father told him to roll up his car windows because it was raining. Sometime that same evening, Danny went to a house in the 4200 block of Wildwood Street and robbed a couple of $21, saying he needed it to get to Dallas. His car was found abandoned around 6 a.m the next morning in the Motel 6 parking lot on Monkhouse Drive. Police learned he did not check into the hotel. At some point, he made his way to Florida on a Greyhound bus and pitched a tent in the woods.

In the early morning hours of Friday, August 24th, 1990, Danny broke into the apartment shared by 17-year-old university freshmen Sonja Larson and Christina Powell. Finding Powell asleep on the downstairs couch, he stood over her briefly but did not wake her up, choosing instead to explore the upstairs bedroom where Larson was also asleep. Danny murdered Larson, first taping her mouth shut to stifle her screams and then stabbing her to death. She died while trying to fend him off. Danny then went back downstairs, taped Powell’s mouth shut, bound her wrists together behind her back and threatened her with a knife as he cut her clothes off of her. He then raped her and forced her face-down onto the floor, where he stabbed her five times in the back. Danny posed the bodies in sexually provocative positions. He took a shower before leaving the apartment. 

A day later, on Saturday, August 25th, Danny broke into the apartment of 18-year-old Christa Hoyt, prying open a sliding glass door with a KA-BAR knife and a screwdriver. Finding she was not home, he waited in the living room for her to return. At 11 a.m, Hoyt entered her apartment and Danny surprised her from behind, placing her in a chokehold. After she had been subdued, he taped her mouth shut, bound her wrists together and led her into the bedroom, where he cut the clothes from her body and raped her. As in the Powell murder, he forced her face-down and stabbed her in the back, rupturing her heart. He then decapitated the body and posed her head on a shelf facing the corpse, adding to the shock of whoever discovered her.

By now the murders had attracted widespread media attention and many students were taking extra precautions, such as changing their daily routines and sleeping together in groups. Because the spree was happening so early in the fall semester, some students withdrew their enrollment or transferred to other schools. 

Tracy Paules, who was 23 years old, was living with Manny Taboada, also 23. On Monday, August 27th, Danny broke into the apartment by prying open the sliding glass door with the same tools he had used previously. Danny found Manny asleep in one of the bedrooms. Manny, being a former high school football player, put up a good fight, but was overwhelmed. Hearing the commotion, Tracy went down the hall to Manny’s bedroom and saw Danny. She attempted to barricade herself in her bedroom, but Danny broke through the door. Danny taped her mouth shut and wrists together, cut off her clothing and raped her, before turning her over and stabbing her three times in the back. Danny posed Tracy’s body, but left Manny’s in the same position in which he had died. 

As Danny skipped town, a local task force was assembled to calm a frantic community and find answers. Authorities soon zeroed in on a prime suspect, a UF student who briefly lived in the same complex as two of the victims. This suspect’s name was Edward Humphrey, and he exhibited erratic behavior; at one point getting arrested for hitting his grandmother. It was soon revealed that Edward was battling acute manic depression, however, and with zero evidence connecting him to the murders, the task force was back to the drawing board.

Meanwhile, the killer they were looking for was already in jail. On September 7th, 1990, Danny had robbed a Winn-Dixie grocery at gunpoint in Ocala, Florida, and was nabbed after crashing the getaway car. It wasn’t until early the following year, when authorities used a tooth extracted from Danny to link him to the DNA evidence at the Gainesville crime scenes, that he became a primary suspect. (In the course of the investigation, Danny’s tools were matched to marks left at the Gainesville murder scenes. The small one-man camp where he was living was in a wooded area located near the apartment complexes frequented by students; there, investigators discovered audio diaries he had made alluding to the crimes.) In November 1991, Danny was charged with several counts of murder.

After Danny was arrested, police in Louisiana alerted the authorities in Florida to the unsolved triple murder in Shreveport on November 4th, 1989. Detectives noted that there were similarities between the Gainesville murders and those of 55-year-old William Grissom, his 24-year-old daughter Julie, and his eight-year-old grandson Sean. 

Danny began corresponding with journalist Sondra London, who would become his fiancée and help him put together ‘The Making of a Serial Killer’. And while he had pleaded not guilty, he used fellow inmate Bobby Lewis as his “mouthpiece” to confess to the murders.

In February 1994, just before the start of his trial, Danny abruptly changed his plea to guilty. To determine the sentence, jurors listened to testimony from his mother, who recounted the abuse the defendant had received at the hands of his father, and from a psychiatrist, who described an alternate personality of Danny’s named “Gemini,” who drove him to his sadistic acts. Two other psychiatrists also testified that a severe personality disorder was in play, but stated they believed that Danny understood the magnitude of his crimes. The jury unanimously found Danny guilty of first-degree murder on all five counts in late March, and a month later he was sentenced to death.

Shortly before he was executed in Florida for the series of killings in Gainesville, Danny claimed responsibility for the Shreveport murders, handing his spiritual adviser Rev. Mike Hudspeth and Florida police a handwritten confession and apology.

His appeals exhausted, Danny faced execution at Florida State Prison on October 25th, 2006. In his final moments, he regaled the 47 people crammed into the witness room with one of his songs, a religious hymn with the refrain “none greater than thee, O Lord, none greater than thee.” His microphone was then cut off, ending a life story as twisted as any that could appear on the big screen.

Danny Rolling, the real ghostface.
Danny Rolling’s family. Danny is in the striped jacket, sitting behind his father. When he saw this picture he said, “ is trying to force a smile. Kevin manages one…I do not… and Dad stares straight ahead cold as ice.”

Newspaper article of the Grissom family murders.
Sean Grissom (8) on the left. Julie Grissom (24) on the right, victims.

Sonja Larson, victim.
Christina Powell, victim.
Christa Hoyt, victim.
Tracy Paules, victim.
Manny Taboada, victim.

‘Scream’ (loosely based on Danny’s murders) was just the first, later spawning three other films, with a fourth on the way! Scream 5 should be released in the next year or so.
Because of the movie franchise’s success, MTV debuted Scream: The Series in 2015. It lasted two seasons. In 2019, VH1 rebooted the series, and lasted for just one season.

Published by caitiejobug

I’m a SAHM of one, a loving wife, daughter, and sister. Reading and writing are my favorite hobbies, along with watching true crime documentaries.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: